The moated castle was built in the early 13th century and received in the 17./18. Century their present appearance.
Around 1560, the four-winged main castle was expanded with a large rear park, corresponding to the time, for example, with gothic bay windows and curly domes.
One of the four round corner towers has a pointed slate roof, the roofs of the other three corner towers are baroque.
A fore-castle with a five-storey gate tower, a whipped hipped roof and an octagonal clock tower stands at the front of the castle.
The gardens, staggered in three terraces, were designed in the 17th century with Italian influences. It is the only preserved private baroque garden of the Rhineland. A visit to the castle’s parks is possible from March to December on weekdays.