The Schloss Oberhausen is a classical castle complex in the upper district of Alt-Oberhausen-Mitte. The property gave the name to the 1846 station, which was built nearby and 1847 opened, and thus the later town of Oberhausen.
A predecessor from the 12th/13th century was around 200 meters away from the present location and has now disappeared completely. After the estate of the family of Dücker over the from the Hoven at the beginning of the 17th. In the 13th century, the family of Boenen had arrived, was built on the plot between 1804 and 1818 according to plans of the Münster builder August reinking a new castle for Maximilian Friedrich von West recovered-Gysenberg and his wife Friederike Karoline of Bretzenheim.
After serious damage in the Second World War, the manor house was rebuilt in the late 1950s according to old original plans. Today it houses an internationally renowned art museum with the Ludwig Galerie; The Castle Park with its leisure activities is a popular excursion destination of the people of the inhabitants of the city. Under the name “Schloss Oberhausen and Kaiser Garten” the buildings and the park have been a station of the theme route Oberhausen since the beginning of 2011: Industrial Power City of the route of industrial culture.
The castle Complex is located south of the A 42 on the Rhine-Herne Canal. On its east side is Konrad-Adenauer-Allee (b 223), the main connecting road between the districts of Sterkrade, Easterfield and old Oberhausen. The west-located Gasometer and Centro are within walking distance, as are the grounds of the former Gutehoffnungshütte, whose former head office is located southeast at approximately 900 metres distance.
The classicist complex consists of two complexes of buildings, which limit a square 50-metre-long courtyard. The facades are painted pink, cornices as well as window and Türfassungen in white.
The entire building complex used to serve as a farm, the northern wing was used as a horse stable. in front of the southern wing, now used as a memorial, the basalt statue of Willy Meller is erected by the mourners. A inscription in front of her in the ground reminds the victims of both world wars.