Schloss Bertholdsburg is an early modern fortress in the town of Schleusingen in the district of Hildburghausen in Thuringia, Germany. It is located on the western edge of the old town above the confluence of Erle and Nahe river. The name of the castle was Berthold VII, the most important member of the House Henneberg.
Today the castle is managed by the Thuringian Castles and Gardens Foundation. It is home to a museum of Natural History and a museum of history. The 38 metre high main tower from the year 1597 is accessible as a lookout tower.
The castle consists of four wings, the enclosed courtyard, seven towers (from nine) and the Castle Garden west of the building. On the east side is the Schleusinger town church.
The castle complex was built from 1226 to 1232 by the Counts of Henneberg (Poppo VII.). After the Hennebergischen lands 1274 were divided into three lines, the Bertholdsburg seat of the counts became Henneberg-Schleusingen. Under Wilhelm VI, the plant at 1500 received its present-day Renaissance appearance.
On February 15, 1685 and on October 11, 1765, two fires broke out on the castle, which fortunately could be extinguished in good time.
1815, the Saxon office of Schleusingen coincided with the Bertholdsburg as a result of the Vienna Congress to Prussia, which created the district of Schleusingen. It existed until 1952 and was managed by the Bertholdsburg until 1929, before the capital was moved to Suhl.
Since 1934, Schloss Bertholdsburg has been a museum. Initially it included only regional historical collections with today about 3,000 exhibits from the history of Südthüringens, Hennebergs and the town of Schleusingen.
The Natural History Museum was founded in 1988 and comprises about 100,000 exhibits. These include fossils, minerals, bone finds and the like. The development of Thuringia is documented in the various phases of the Earth’s history. The museum was completely redesigned in the year 2000 and is one of the most modern in Thuringia.