The castle Stolberg rises on a steep limestone rock in the midst of the Stolberg Old Town in Stolberg (Rhineland) in the North Rhine-Westphalia city region of Aachen. It is the emblem, cradle and namesake of the city.
In the 12th century, the castle of Stolberg was built by the Lords of Stalburg. The Dukes of Jülich pledged the dragged plant in the middle of the 15th century to the Lords of hives to be rebuilt as an open-mindedness. In the middle of the 16th century Jerome of Efferen had the castle expanded after destruction. As a result of marriage, Castle and Dominion came from the barons of Efferen to the imperial Barons Raitz of Frentz. In the 18th and 19th century the castle fell into ruins. Of the last aristocratic owners, the imperial counts of Kessel, the dilapidated plant 1863 came into bourgeois possession. The Stolberg manufacturer Moritz Kraus rebuilt the castle in the historicist style since 1888, and gave it 1909 of the city.
After 1933, the castle was expanded and used by the SA and other NS organizations.
During World War II, American troops took the castle complex on September 21st, 1944 after hard fights with soldiers of the German Wehrmacht. In the following 13 years, the buildings could not be used at all by war damage. Only from 1956 were events held again in the restored Knight’s Hall.