The complex is located in the Steinheim Old Town southeast of the main on an elongated spur (approx. 115 m above nn), which overlooks the river valley by about 15 m as well as the rest of the surrounding area. To the east and south joins the historic centre of Groß–Steinheim (also the upper stone home). The transition between the spacious castle and the old town is partly flowing, although the wall is still largely preserved.
According to legend, Ida, the sister or daughter of Charlemagne (possibly Ida von Feld), has already lived in the castle. However, no documentary or archaeological evidence for a corresponding age of the castle has been found.
First mentioned 1222 as Castrum Steinheim, the castle was owned by the Lords of Eppstein. These were called “von Hainen” until the end of the 12th century and were in the region of goods.
At 1300, the castle was captured in a feud of King Albrecht I against the Archbishop of Mainz Gerhard II of Eppstein by the Vogt Ulrich I of Hanau and partly destroyed.
The castle must have been rebuilt very soon. In 1320 the settlement Steinheim the town law, 1358 the Eppstein obtained the right to levy duties on the main.
Probably financial difficulties forced the Eppstein to pledge half of the castle to the counts of Katzenelnbogen and the Lords of Hanau. In 1393, she was a pawn to the Lords of Cronberg. 1425 Finally, Gottfried VII of Eppstein Steinheim sold for 38,000 Rhenish Gulden to the Archbishopric of Mainz, where it remained until 1803. The archbishops of Mainz used the castle partly as a residence, probably more frequently in transit to the possessions in the main area. Previously, they had already acquired areas of the Bach and Maingau. The castle in Steinheim was expanded and later expanded and became the centre of the Amt Steinheim.
Not far from the castle and the city of Hanau, the castle secured the Archbishop property against the Lords and counts of Hanau, which also had territories south of the main. During the Thirty Years ‘ War, the castle, City and Amt of Steinheim were confiscated by King Gustav II Adolf of Sweden and the Postborn Hanau Count Heinrich Ludwig (1609 – 1632) and Jakob Johann (1612 – 1636) for their support of the Swedish cause Disclosed. However, this only lasted until the Battle of Nördlingen. During the siege of the Hanau 1635/36, the imperial Commander Guillaume de Lamboy took quarters in the Steinheim castle.
Towards the end of the 18th century, the archbishops of Mainz left large parts of the plant, including the obergeschoss of the main building, as well as the former wall in the present courtyard. Plans for a new building could no longer be realised because of the secularization by the Reich Reichsdeputationshauptschluss 1803. The facility fell to Hesse-Darmstadt, which, although remodelled in the classicist style of the side facing the main, gave a castle-like appearance, but the castle also only used to a small extent to 1813. There followed a frequent change of use, since 1938, there is a museum in the rooms. In 1978 the buildings were transferred from the land of Hesse to the city of Hanau. After a period of renovation and redesign, 1986 the present museum was opened.
From the castle and castle complex, the 26 m high Keep with stone spire and smaller turrets on the battlements as well as parts of the wall and retaining walls are still preserved. The large residential building still has parts of the castle from the 13th/14th century. It is made of sandstone bricks, in which some of the plier holes of the crane are still visible. The Stables Building, the official registry, a well and parts of the wall with masonry are preserved in the sprawling castle.
The castle wall of the castle, which was demolished in the 18th century, is no longer visible. Today, their foundations are concealed under the pavement in front of the main building. Its location was secured by archaeological excavations 1989/90.