Launch of the first Danish-built submarine Mermaid from the Orlogsværftet (Naval Yard) 31 August. August 1912
Orlogsværftet was a Danish naval shipyard under the Royal Danish Navy. Before 1924, it was an integral part of the naval base at Holmen in central Copenhagen, Denmark, with an independent management from 1692 when Olaus Judichær became the first factory director. In 1924, the shipyard was established as a regular company under the Naval Ministry, responsible for building and maintaining naval ships and aircraft.
Orlogsværftet delivered its last newly built vessel in 1970, the submarine Nordkaperen, and continued as a repair yard until 1995, when the navy was moved out of Copenhagen to Korsør and Frederikshavn. Maersk-owned Odense Steel Shipyard replaced Orlogsværftet as the navy’s primary shipyard.
In the 20th century the ship yard also produced a smaller number of civilian vessels, including ferrys for the Danish State Railways, boats for the Royal Danish Mail and a single ship for GN Store Nord.
List of ships launched from Orlogsværftet
- Frigate Bellona on September 15, 1830
- Ship of the Line Christian den Ottende on May 22, 1840
- Ship of the Line Dannebrog on September 25, 1850
- Frigate Jylland on November 20, 1860
- Corvette Dagmar on November 1, 1861
- Armored Schooner Diana on November 11, 1863
- Ironclad Lindormen on August 6, 1868
- Ironclad Odin on December 12, 1872
- Ironclad Helgoland on May 9, 1878
- Steam Ship Dannebrog on October 6, 1879
- Corvette Fyen on September 27, 1882
- Ironclad Iver Huitfeldt on April 14, 1886
- Cruiser Valkyrien on September 8, 1888
- Cruiser Hekla on November 28, 1890
- Cruiser Gejser on July 5, 1892
- Cruiser Heimdal on August 30, 1894
- Ironclad Herluf Trolle on September 2, 1899
- Ironclad Olfert Fischer on May 9, 1903
- Ironclad Peder Skram on May 2, 1908
- Submarine Havfruen on August 21, 1912, followed by another five A-class submarines until October 2, 1914
- Torpedo Boats Delfinen, Sværdfisken and Hvalrossen in 1913
- Submarine Ægir on August 12, 1914 followed by another four B-Class submarines until April 15, 1916
- Torpedo Boat Springeren followed by another nine Springeren-Class Torpedo Boats on July 8, 1916
- Coastal defence ship Niels Juel on July 3, 1918
- Submarine Bellona on March 19 followed by another two C-Class submarines until April 2, 1920
- Submarine Daphne on December 9 followed by the other D-Class submarine Dryaden on June 3, 1926
- Torpedo Boat Dragen followed by another two Dragen-Class Torpedo Boats on November 8, 1929
- Royal Yacht Dannebrog on October 10, 1931
- Torpedo Boat Glenten followed by another two Glenten-Class torpedo boats on January 6, 1933
- Mine sweeper Søløven followed by another five Søløven-Class Mine Sweepers on December 3, 1938
- Mine Layer Lougen followed by Laaland on March 14, 1941
- Cutter Fænø followed by another six cutters on June 13, 1941
- Torpedo Boat Bille on September 21, 1946 followed by another five Krieger-Class Torpedo Boats
- Torpedo Boat Flyvefisken followed by another five Flyvefisken-Class torpedo boats on May 11, 1954 in cooperation with Frederikssund Shipyard
- Home Guard Cutter Saturn followed by another two cutters on November 11, 1957
- Minesweepers Asvig, Sælvig, Mosvig and Sandvig from September 5, 1960
- Torpedo Boat Falken followed by another three Falken-Class torpedo boats on December 19, 1961
- Torpedo Boat Søbjørnen followed by another three Søløven-Class Torpedo Boat on August 19, 1964.
- Submarine Narhvalen followed by another Narhvalen-Class submarine on September 10, 1968
Aircraft produced at orlogsværftet
From 1913 to 1943, a series of aircraft were produced at Orlogsværftet, known under the name Orlogsværftet Flyvemaskineværksted (Orlogsværftet Flying Machine Workshop). After the navy purchased two Donnet-Leveque Flying Boats in 1913, the machines were improved in the workshops at Orlogsværftet, following poor performance in the initial flights. Following this effort the workshops produced a series of 8 flying boats powered by the imported 80 HP Gnome engines, serving until 1919. Another 25 flying boats were produced following improvements of the same design for military and civilian use.
In 1917, the workshops copied a German Friedrichshafen 29 Floatplane which had stranded in Denmark. As the floatplanes outperformed the flying boats, a shift was made towards this line of aircraft, and another four copies were made with 160 HP Curtiss or 150 HP Benz engines. Following a few years of service, a in house copy of the engine was manufactured under the name O.V. 160.