Codan shipyard was among the first to exploit this material in Denmark. In 1918, “Triton” was built and it was then Europe’s largest iron concrete ship at 60 meters.
However, the iron concrete ships were never a success. It turned out that the ships could not withstand the vibrations of the diesel engines. It only built 2 of these ships before the shipyard closed in 1921. When the war ended, the prices of steel and completed ships again fell to a normal lease.
The investors behind the shipyards had had enormous capital expenditures, and both were inevitably bankrupt.
Køge (Danish pronunciation: [ˈkøːə] or [ˈkøːjə], older spelling Kjøge) is a seaport on the coast of Køge Bugt (Bay of Køge) 39 km southwest of Copenhagen. It is the principal town and seat of Køge Municipality, Region Sjælland, Denmark. In 2015, the urban area had a population of 36,424.
Køge is in the Copenhagen metropolitan area and is connected to downtown Copenhagen by the E line of the S-train commuter rail system. Køge is also on a new rail line under construction between Copenhagen and Ringsted, and due for completion in 2018 (inauguration May 2019). The new line will make Køge a central hub in Denmark’s transport system.
Like most Danish cities, the origins Køge precedes written history. Køge was first recognized as an official market town in 1288, as a contrast to the ecclesiastical center at that time – Roskilde, and was an important merchant town during the late Middle Ages.
During the local witchhunt, called Køge Huskors (1608–1615), at least 15 people were convicted of witchcraft and burned at the stake. Køge suffered during the wars between Denmark and Sweden (1643–1720). In 1807, the town and surrounding area was the scene of the Battle of Køge between British and Danish troops. Køge remained a small town until the late 19th century, when industrial development and population growth began. Today, Køge is the main part of the 18th largest urban area in Denmark.
The historical architecture of the town centre is one of the major attractions of Køge.
The oldest dated half-timbered house in Denmark, which is also the oldest dated non-nobility and non-religious building of the nordic countries, can be found in Køge. It was built in 1527. Originally a section of a row of hovels, it is now a part of the public library. Pictures can be found in the gallery. The Third largest Viking Ring Fortress was found near the city of Køge, Denmark.
Near the house is Sankt Nicolai Church (picture above). The tower of the church contains a lighthouse, the first to be built in Denmark.
Køge’s town hall dates from 1552 and is the oldest town hall in Denmark still in use as such.
Køge Torv, the market square, is, with an area of almost 1 hectare (2.5 acres), the largest town square in Denmark outside Copenhagen and the largest and best-preserved medieval town square in Denmark. There are fair days on the square Wednesday and Saturday.
Kjøge Miniby (Kjøge Mini-Town) is a historically correct model of the town from the year 1865 – built to a scale of 1:10.
Køge station is the principal railway station of the town. Copenhagen S-train has a line which begins here. Regional trains to Roskilde and Næstved and local trains to Stevns. There are also an S-train station in the northern part of Ølby Lyng and a local train station in the southern suburb of Herfølge.
Port of Køge
The Port of Køge is one of the oldest ports in Denmark but has been modernised over the last few years. Since 2002, there has been a ferry connection to Rønne on the Baltic island of Bornholm, operated by BornholmerFærgen.
A hospital campus surrounded by a circular treeline (above).
Niels Juel Memorial in Køge, Denmark