The current building was inaugurated in 1905. It was designed by the architect Martin Nyrop in the National Romantic style but with inspiration from the Siena City Hall. It is dominated by its richly ornamented front, the gilded statue of Absalon just above the balcony and the tall, slim clock tower. The latter is at 105.6 metres one of the tallest buildings in the generally low city of Copenhagen.
In addition to the tower clock, the City Hall also houses Jens Olsen’s World Clock.
Copenhagen had its first fire department on 9 July 1687 when King Christian V founded the Royal Copenhagen Fire Department. With the adoption of the Copenhagen Fire Act on 18 May 1868, the Copenhagen Fire Department was established as a municipal institution as of 1 August 1870.
In the middle of the 19th century, the fire station in the former St. Nicolai’s Church had become outdated. It was therefore decided to construct a new purpose-built central fire station on the former grounds of the city’s Western Rampart. The Bastioned Fortifications until now enclosing Copenhagen had recently been disbanded and the vacant land was now used for a number of large public building projects.
The recently instituted post of City Architect held by Ludvig Fenger was put in charge of the project.
Construction began in 1889 and the new Central Fire Station was inaugurated on 30 April 1892. At that time, the City Hall had still not been built and the new premises therefore had an unhindered view of the haymarket which was located where the City Hall Square is today. The tower of the building was also used in training with life nets and use of tall fire ladders.
The station’s reaction district covers central Copenhagen as defined by the Inner Harbour, Dannebrogsgade, Vester Søgade, Gothersgade, St. Kongensgade and Esplanaden. The Copenhagen Fire Department operates six additional other fire stations within the municipality.
The Lur Blowers (Danish: Lirblæserne) is a monument located next to City Hall in Copenhagen, Denmark, consisting of a bronze sculpture of two lur players mounted on top of a tall terracotta column. The monument was a gift to the City of Copenhagen from the Carlsberg Foundation and New Carlsberg Foundation on the occasion of the centenary of the birth of Carlsberg founder J. C. Jacobsen.
The monument stands 20 metres (66 ft) tall. The sculpture at the top of the column consists of two male figures standing very close together, wearing capes and helmets, each holding a raised lur. The compactness of the composition is a result of a design change late in the process, since the original design featured only a single lur blower. The decision to change the design was based on the fact that lurs are always tuned in pairs. The two lurs are inverted, as is seen with the Brudevælte Lurs.
The column is made of red brick and bears the inscription “J.C. JACOBSEN•CARLSBERG 1811•2•SEPTEMBER•1911”. The two columns of St. Mark and St. Thomas on the Piazzetta di San Marco were a source of inspiration.