Alme Castle is located in Alme, a suburb of Brilon, in the Hochsauerlandkreis area in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany.
The history of Alme Castle (former Niederalme Castle) is closely linked to Oberalme Castle (present-day estate House Tinne). In 1325, Oberalme Castle was built. At that time, the Hallinghausen Archives Division with Alme belonged politically to the Polish Duchy of Westphalia, but ecclesiastically belonged to the diocese of Paderborn.
In 1428, the lords of Thülen sold their house and stonework in Niederalme with all the related goods to Godert von Meschede. Two years later, in 1430, Archbishop Dietrich von Köln left the Tinne estate to his follower Godert von Meschede as the “desert court place.”
In 1493, the distinction between the two houses led to the upper and lower alms, both of which belonged to the cousins Gerd and Heinrich von Meschede as common property. The castle Niederalme was built by Gerhard von Meschede in 1506. As part of an inheritance dispute, the property was divided in 1589.
Later Wilhelm Rötger of Meschede was able to reunite the two knight seats. In the first half of the 18th century, Dietrich Adam von Meschede (son of Wilhelm Rötger) built the present baroque water castle Alme on the possession of the old Niederalmer Castle. The front to the south side carries next to the Alliance coat of arms Meschede and rupture the year 1744. Older components of the castle were included in the construction of the castle. In the 19th century Dieterich was Majoratsherr of Bocholtz. In 1912, after several changes of ownership, the castle came into the possession of the Counts of Spee.
Opened in November 2013 by Martin Steiner, the Almer Schlossmühle restaurant in the castle mill, right next to the castle grounds and also owned by Count von Spee, was rated 13 by Gault-Millau in 2015 and 2016 and received a cap (“Very good cuisine”).
Other Castles in North Rhine-Westphalia
More to come.