Ralswiek Castle is a manor house in Ralswiek on the island of Rügen. It is located on a hill above the Great Jasmunder Bodden.
The Großer Jasmunder Bodden belongs to the Northern Rügener Boddens and is a water body on the southern edge of the Baltic Sea in the German state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. It is a bodden, a type of lagoon that occurs in northern Europe especially on the coast of Pomerania. It lies within the island of Rügen, is around 14 kilometres long, an average of six kilometres wide and is up to nine metres deep with an average depth of 5.3m. The Großer Jasmunder Bodden has an area of 58.6 square kilometres; if the Breetzer Bodden, Breeger Bodden, Lebbiner Bodden, Neuendorfer Wiek and Tetzitzer See are included the total area of water comes to over 94 square kilometres.
Read more about The Großer Jasmunder Bodden here
Ralswiek is an old settlement place and was in the fiefdom of various Rügen noble families. The old manor house is located to the left of the castle. The originally single-storey building was demolished in the 19th century and rebuilt with two floors and a neo-Renaissance gable.
In 1891, the estate was sold to the manufacturer Hugo Sholto Graf Douglas from Aschersleben. From 1894 to 1896, the castle was built according to designs by the Berlin architect Gustav Stroh, and the neo-Renaissance architecture follows the models of French Renaissance castles. The rectangular building is flanked by two towers with cone roofs. The east side of the building faces the Bodden. The hood of the tower, which is located in front of the entrance, towers over the two outer towers. In the main building there is a covered courtyard. In 1913, the Marstall was built according to the design of the Stralsund builder Franz Juhre. The landscape park was built in 1810 and was extended around 1900.
The largely preserved interior decoration (entrance hall, stairwell, panelling, door handles, glass windows) was partly designed by the important Art Nouveau architect Henry van de Velde.
In 1939 the castle was expropriated, the Bodden became a war port, the Douglas Castle Casino. After the Second World War, the castle was used as a nursing home for the elderly and later as a nursing home for the disabled and nursing home of the German Red Cross. From 1999 to 2002, the castle was transformed into a hotel.
At the foot of the building there is a natural stage on the banks of the Great Jasmunder Bodden. This stage was created at the end of the 50’s for 7000 spectators. The Störtebeker Festival will be performed on it from the end of June to the beginning of September.
The extensive park surrounding the house is one of Rügen’s most interesting gardens due to its botanical diversity. It was built in 1810 and expanded and expanded by Count Douglas.
See more pictures here
Castles in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
Castles in Bavaria
Castles in North Rhine-Westphalia
Castles in Schleswig-Holstein
Castles in Hesse
Castles in Saxony-Anhalt:
Schloss Hundisburg (Hundisburg)
Schloss Blankenburg (Harz)
Schloss Merseburger & Merseburger Dom
Schloss Stolberg in Sachsen-Anhalt
Burg Falkenstein (Harz)
Neuenburg Castle (Freyburg)
Herrenhaus Brandenstein (Möckern)
Castles in Lower Saxony
Castles in Saxony
Castles in Baden-Württemberg
Castles in Thuringia
Castles in Rhineland-Palatinate
Castles in Brandenburg