The Free City of Danzig (Freie Stadt Danzig, Wolne Miasto Gdańsk) existed between 1920 and 1939 and was a semi-autonomous city-state that was created by the Treaty of Versailles after the First World War was over. Officially it did remain under the authority of the League of Nations. The constitution had many similarities with the one of the Weimar Repiblic. The Danziger parliament, named the Volkstag, did issue its own passports and its citizens were referred to as Danzigers. There was the Danzig Police Force, named the Schutzpolizei. The Nazis gained control in 1933 and abolished the democracy. In June 1939 the SS Heimwehr Danzig was established. They would help the German army with the invasion of Danzig in September 1939 when the Second World War broke out. Danzig would be fully incorporated into the Reich and became the capital of Reichsgau Danzig-West Prussia.
Read about WWII here