Jagdschloss Gelbensande is a hunting lodge or manor that was erected between 1880 and 1885 as a summer residence for Grand Duke Friedrich Franz III of Mecklenburg-Schwerin. After 1887, it was used as a base for hunting in the surrounding forest, the Rostock Heath. Because of the Grand Duke’s marriage to one of the Russian Tsar‘s granddaughters, the Mecklenburg-Russian relationships can still be seen inside the castle today.
The Jagdschloss remained in the Grand Duke’s use until 1944. It was subsequently used as an army hospital, a sanatorium for tuberculosis, a public library, a veteran’s club and a sort of hostel for construction workers. Since the German reunification in 1989/1990, it is owned by the town of Gelbensande and open to the public as a museum.