Holsteinborg Castle is a manor house located 12 kilometres southeast of Skælskør, Slagelse Municipality, Denmark. It was built in the first half of the 17th century by members of the Trolle family, who gave it the name Trolholm, but has been owned by the Holstein family since 1707. Hans Christian Andersen was a frequent visitor to the estate in the middle of the 19th century. The main building is situated close to the coast, overlooking Holsteinborg Nor, a shallow watered cove which is almost closed off from the Småland Sea and Great Belt by Glænø, Glænø Stenfed and Glænø Østerfed.
A fortification was in about 1200 built approximately at the site of the current castle to guard Bisserup Harbour, then a naval support point. The estate is referred to as Bråde in 1357 when it is owned by Roskilde bishopric. The property was confiscated by the Crown 1536 in connection with the Reformation.
The oldest part of the four-winged manor house is the west wing which was built by Børge Trolle in 1598. The three other wings were built between 1538 and 1546. The building was adapted in 1777-81 by G.E. Rosenberg and again in 1848-50 bu Gustav Friedrich Hetsch. The original Renaissance castle now combines Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque and Neoclassical elements. The main gate is located in the north wing which is flanked by corner towers with spires from 1642 and 1649. The two headless shieldbearers that flank the gate represent the headless troll in the Trolle family’s coat of arms. The moat is only preserved on the north side and around the farm buildings, some of which date from the middle of the 17th century.
The estate comprises Fuirendal and Snedinge and has a total area of 1,486 hectares of which 546 are forest.
The southern part of the park is an English style landscape garden from 1865 and 1892. The northern part of the park retains elements of an earlier Baroque garden from 1725, including a 2 km long lime tree avenue.
Read more here: Holsteinborg Castle – Wikipedia
More to come.