The manor was established in 1673 by Baron Oluf Rosenkrantz, who also held the neighbouring town of Egholm. Rosenkrantz was given royal permission to create a manor house of the land from the devastated village of Vinderup. Whether this village was deserted in the Swedish wars cannot be determined in the sources.
Krabbesholm Estate is on 484 hectares with Lindegård.
Næsseslottet on Lake Fure was built in 1783 by the merchant Frédéric de Coninck. Who he used as an architect is unknown, but the building is attributed to both Joseph Guione and Andreas Kirkerup.
The louis seize-style building was built in the middle of a park with 8 straight viewing lines that had been built 100 years earlier. The area extends east to Kongevejen and Rudersdal.
De Coninck was from Flanders and hired a landscape architect, Henri Devon – also from Flanders – to conduct the work on the park. He got great inspiration from the South English manor park, and it became Denmark’s first romantic garden. It was planted with exotic trees, many of which still exist, and meandering paths and glorious vantage points were built over Lake Fure.
The Red Cross used The Næsseslottet as the first asylum centre for refugees in 1984.
In recent times, the park around the castle was renovated by the Danish Forest and Nature Agency in collaboration with Søllerød Municipality and with support from various foundations.
The castle itself has been converted into a private office hotel.
Lindholm is a manor house about half a kilometre south of the Roskilde-Holbæk road in Gevninge Parish, Voldborg Herred, Lejre Municipality.
The main building was built in 1730 by J.C. Krieger. Lindholm / Selsø Estates is 983.8 hectares. Lindenborg Kro also belongs to the estate.
The name Lindholm was first mentioned in 1333, when a Johannes Hviding pawns his property in Lindholm to Sankt Clara Kloster in Roskilde. Since the Reformation, there have been changing owners. In 1690 it was bought by Chief War Commissioner Gothard Braem along with the surrounding farmhouses, as well as the right of call over Gevninge and Herslev churches. After his death in 1702, he was buried with his wife and their two children in a crypt on the north side of Gevninge Church.
Since 1728, the estate has been owned by the Scheel-Plessen family.
The first reference to Lejreborg is fairly recent, dating to 1523 when Otto Tinhuus owned the property under the Diocese of Copenhagen. At the time, the estate was called Udlejre and consisted of four or five farms. After the Reformation, in 1545 Lejre became a fief in its own right under the jurisdiction of Copenhagen. In 1663, the statesman Henrik Müller purchased eight farms and five houses in Lejre including Udlejre. He presented the property to his daughter Drude and her husband, statesman Thomas Finke, who built a house called Lejregård. In 1661, Udlejregård was bought by the statesman Henrik Müller who built the first Lejregård manor house. in 1739, Johan Ludvig Holstein bought the property and developed the modest building into one of the country’s finest mansions. He commissioned Johan Cornelius Krieger to extend the building to the east and west. Krieger also added a chapel and a monumental staircase designed by Jacob Fortling. In 1745, Niels Eigtved developed the interior, including the Rokoko banqueting hall, while Lauritz de Thurah decorated the inner courtyard with two pavilions and obelisk-shaped lampposts. A gatehouse was also added.
Also designed by Krieger from 1742 until the mid-1750s, the terraced Baroque park extends from the mansion down the steep slopes of the Kornerup Valley. In the wooded area to the east, the Dyrehaven was laid out in 1757–1762 with paths leading past sculptures and obelisks in line with the trends of the time. The terraced garden was completely renovated in 2004–2006 with a waterfall and fountain designed by Erik Heide who also included sculptures of Adam and Eve.
The mansion can now be rented for meetings or conferences which can be accommodated in the banqueting hall or in the spacious reworked barn. Every August since 1994, the Danish National Chamber Orchestra has held popular concerts of film music and musicals in Ledreborg Park which enjoys exceptionally good acoustics.
The first known reference to Bregentved is from 1319 when King Eric VI of Denmark passed the estate to Roskilde Abbey. From the end of the 14th century the property was owned by a succession of aristocratic families, including that of Krognos in the 16th century, until 1718 when it was acquired by King Frederick IV. In the eighteenth century Bregentved was in consecutive Birks, so had separate legal jurisdiction from Haslev Sogn (parish) and old Ringsted Herred (hundred). The north wing still extant in the early 21st century was built 1731-36 by architect Lauritz de Thurah and has a black-tiled, hipped roof. It contains a chapel on the first floor.
In 1746, King Frederick V granted the Bregentved estate to Adam Gottlob Moltke, one of his closest companions who was at the same time made lord chamberlain and a count. Over the next few years, Moltke adapted the two remaining wings with the assistance of the architects G.D. Anthon and Nicolai Eigtved. Moltke also commissioned Eigtved to build him a large mansion in Copenhagen, the south-western of the four Amalienborg Palaces, which was completed in 1754.
At Bregentved, Moltke introduced several agricultural reforms to the management of the estate with inspiration from Holstein.
In the 1880s, Count Frederik Christian Moltke decided to modernize the house. He demolished the two Eigtved wings and replaced them with two new wings which were completed in 1891 to the design of the architect Axel Berg.
The main east wing and the south wing of the present three-winged building date from Axel Berg’s 1891 rebuilding and stand on Eigtved’s foundations. They are designed in the Neo-Rococo style and are topped by a Mansard roof in copper and tile. The east wing has a three-bay risalit with pilasters and a triangular pediment, and a two-bay corner risilit at each end with segmental pediments. The entrance tower also dates from Berg’s expansion.
Bregentved-Turebyholm covers 6,338 hectares of which just over half consist of agricultural land and the rest of forest. A total of 163 houses also belongs to the estate, including Turebylille, Holtegård, Eskilstrup, Rødehus, Sofiendal, Sprettingegård, Storelinde Overdrevsgård, Ulsegård and Statafgård. The estate maintains a staff of 40 and has a yearly turnover of approximately DKK 60 million. Apart from agriculture and forestry, the revenues derive from house rental, hiring-out of hunting areas, hiring-out of storage facilities and machine pool services.
There is no public access to the house but the park is open to the public on Wednesdays, Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays. Admission is free of charge.
Holsteinborg Castle is a manor house located 12 kilometres southeast of Skælskør, Slagelse Municipality, Denmark. It was built in the first half of the 17th century by members of the Trolle family, who gave it the name Trolholm, but has been owned by the Holstein family since 1707. Hans Christian Andersen was a frequent visitor to the estate in the middle of the 19th century. The main building is situated close to the coast, overlooking Holsteinborg Nor, a shallow watered cove which is almost closed off from the Småland Sea and Great Belt by Glænø, Glænø Stenfed and Glænø Østerfed.
A fortification was in about 1200 built approximately at the site of the current castle to guard Bisserup Harbour, then a naval support point. The estate is referred to as Bråde in 1357 when it is owned by Roskilde bishopric. The property was confiscated by the Crown 1536 in connection with the Reformation.
The oldest part of the four-winged manor house is the west wing which was built by Børge Trolle in 1598. The three other wings were built between 1538 and 1546. The building was adapted in 1777-81 by G.E. Rosenberg and again in 1848-50 bu Gustav Friedrich Hetsch. The original Renaissance castle now combines Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque and Neoclassical elements. The main gate is located in the north wing which is flanked by corner towers with spires from 1642 and 1649. The two headless shieldbearers that flank the gate represent the headless troll in the Trolle family’s coat of arms. The moat is only preserved on the north side and around the farm buildings, some of which date from the middle of the 17th century.
The estate comprises Fuirendal and Snedinge and has a total area of 1,486 hectares of which 546 are forest.
The southern part of the park is an English style landscape garden from 1865 and 1892. The northern part of the park retains elements of an earlier Baroque garden from 1725, including a 2 km long lime tree avenue.
The estate was founded by Baron Reinhard von Iselin, a prosperous, Swiss-born landowner, who in 1774 acquired the land when the Crown sold Vordingborg Cavalry District in auction. From 1776 to 1777 he constructed a large farm complex around an octagonal courtyard with the assistance of the architect Christian Joseph Zuber.
Iselin’s daughter, Anna Elizabeth, inherited Rosenfeldt in 1781. In 1777 she had married the French-born nobleman Antoine de Bosc de la Calmette who in 1783 was appointed prefect of Møn where he owned Marienborg and founded the Liselund estate which he named after his wife.
In 1844 the estate was acquired by captain, general-major Oscar O’Neill Oxholm. He lived on the estate with his Irish wife Adelaide Maria O´Kelly. Oxholm constructed the new main building, two farm buildings and 20 fæstegårde. Designed by Henrik Steffens Sibbern, the main building was built from 1868 to 1870.
Rosenfeldt’s buildings are arranged around seven of eight sides of Zuber’s octagonal courtyard, a layout which is remniscient of that of Amalienborg in Copenhagen. Zuber’s original farm complex consists of four low pavilions and two tall stable buildings in Neoclassical style. The plan also reserved a site for the main building which was not built until 1870. Sibbern’s main building is constructed in red brick and designed in a Neo-Renaissance style. It consists of a two-story main wing with a tower flanked by two short lateral wings.
Rosenfeldt Manor today
Rosenfeldt Manor is owned by Peter Oxholm Tillisch. It covers 2,313 hectares (1998).
First mentioned in 1345, by the end of the century Borreby had come into the possession of the Urne family, an important house of high nobility in Denmark at that time. In 1410 the estate was acquired by Bishop Peder Jensen Lodehat and it was then held by the Bishops of Roskilde until its confiscation by the Crown in 1536 in connection with the Reformation in 1534.
Friis era: The current building
In 1553, possibly somewhat earlier, King Frederick II ceded the property to Chancellor Johan Friis, one of the most powerful men in the country at the time, who also owned Hesselagergård on the island of Funen. In 1456 he built the current castle at a site 300 metres (980 ft) north of the old building.
After Johan Friis’ death in 1570, Borreby was passed to his nephew, Christian Friis, who later followed in his uncle’s footsteps as Chancellor from 1594 to 1616. Christian Friis expanded the complex with an extra moat and several new buildings, including two castle yard wings to the east and west, a gatehouse and several large farm buildings west of the castle.
The estate remained in the possession of the Friis family until the brothers Oluf and Valdemar Daa ran it into economic ruin during their ownership from 1652 to 1681.
Castenschiold era: Hans Christian Andersen connection
Together with nearby Holsteinborg and Basnæs, Borreby later in the century formed a small cluster of manor houses where Hans Christian Andersen was a frequent guest. In 1859 Andersen published his story “The Wind Tells about Valdemar Daae and His Daughters”, a tragic tale of how the last descendant of Johan Friss to own Borreby lost the estate through his own foolish and quite unsuccessful experiments with alchemy.
The Castenschiold family still own the property.
Built in red brick in the Renaissance style, Borreby consists of two and a half floors resting on stone plinth and topped by a pitched roof. There are four towers, three on the north side and a staircase tower on the south side. The masonry is decorated with arched friezes above each storey and the windows are topped by depressed arches.
The defensive character of the building is witnessed by machicolation holes which are found on all sides. Behind these there used to be a walkway which has now been removed, but machicolation holes can still be seen all round the building. The gatehouse from 1600
The interior is dominated by Joachim Lorentz Holten Castenschiold’s modernizations carried out in the 1750s and restorations from 1883 to 1884 and 1923–24.
The east and west wings of the outer courtyard date from Christian Friis’ expansion, as does the gatehouse from 1600 and the large farm buildings located west of the castle. A chapel in the west wing was in its current form designed in 1754.
In the 21st century
Borreby Castle is owned by and managed as a modern agricultural estate with a large production of biomass for power stations on Zealand. There is public access free of charge to the outer courtyard and park with views of the historical buildings. The castle is also open for tours on prior notification.
It is also used as a cultural venue. Borreby Art Gallery is based in the former courthouse as well as some former stables. Borreby Theatre with a capacity of 450 spectators is currently under construction in a former barn, and other buildings will house a restaurant and café.
Gavnø Castle (or Gavnø on the island of the same name) is located in Karrebæk Fjord southwest of Næstved. The farm is first mentioned in Valdemar II’s privilege for Sankt Peders Kloster in Næstved of 1205. It is located on Gavnø in Vejlø Parish in Næstved Municipality. The main building was built in 1402-1408, expanded in 1584-1663-1682 and converted into the present rococo castle in 1755-1758. The park is on 8 hectares.
Gavnø Estate is 2,300 hectares with Vejløgård, Tinghøjgård and Sofusminde.
Gavnø Castle has its own castle brewery, which is Denmark’s only and is housed in one of the barony’s buildings.
Gavnø is a small island off the west coast of Zealand in Næstved Municipality, Denmark. Located some 6 km south-west of Næstved, it has an area of 5.6 km2, and, as of 1 January 2010, it has a population of 57.
Gavnø is now associated mainly with Gavnø Castle, an impressive Rococo manor house with an attractive park. The park surrounding the estate is known for its rare trees, rose garden and, above all, its extensive display of bulbs.
The first historical mention of Gavnø is in King Valdemar‘s census book from 1231. The main building was built in 1402-1408, expanded in 1584-1663-1682 and remodeled to the current Rococo manor in 1755-1758. The manor house was apparently built to defend Denmark’s western coasts. In the 15th century, Queen Margaret I opened St Agnes’ Priory there, catering for nuns from aristocratic families. The chapel can still be seen in the castle’s southern wing although it has since been extended.
In 1737, Count Otto Thott (1703–1785) acquired Gavnø. He renovated and substantially extended the manor, creating today’s three-winged, yellow-façaded building in the Rococo style where he was able to house his large collections of paintings, manuscripts and books. At his death, his library collection contained over 120,000 volumes, exceeding that of the Danish National Library.